Thursday, January 24, 2008

Day 10: This bit of annoyance I had...

So, I’ve wanted to avoid this, but I feel like I have to say something about it because I’m so annoyed. The other day I saw an article (and a press release) about how athletes at the University of Montana take 12.5 credits per semester on average, and have a 3.0 gpa. The other nearly 12,000 students don’t measure up to this standard of hard work and success. Allegedly.

So from the facts presented one could assume that our jocks are smart, right? Well, some sure, maybe even most, but the fact that their credit load is over 12 has to do with this thing called a “scholarship.” Athletes at UM must take at least 12 credits. The other 12,000 don’t have to do that because they pay/take loans/beg to receive an education. It's their choice to take credits, and not a requirement.

And, for an added bonus, the numbers provided by UM allowed for students failing classes. Again, athletes at UM cannot fail classes. They must maintain a decent gpa akin to this thing called “passing” or be kicked out.

What I'm saying is that to compare 12,000 students to a few fortunate, talented athletes, is an uneven comparison and totally skewed toward something many will not be forced to achieve. Some students take 3 credits, or six, or nine, or 21. Some have crappy grades because they have kids, and – get this! – kids need attention. Others might have dropped out early, yet unofficially, and failed every class they enrolled in.

The whole situation with the attention on this skewed perspective reminded me of my days at Anaconda High when I was part of an outcast, nerdish group of guys who watched Kevin Smith movies and talked about girls. (We'd spend all of our time imaging that someday one of these mythical girls may let us sit near them, and then, maybe even date them...gasp). We didn’t drink or do drugs, yet a few of us, myself included, found ourselves on the receiving end of rudeness, and ridicule from authority because (yet another gasp) we had odd hair, or weird music tastes.

I hated the double standard between athletes and others then, and I hate it even more today because I know that it makes people feel worthless.

Anyway, now to CYA...

Personally I love sports. I watch football whenever possible and still remember the first time I saw Randy Johnson throw a strikeout in person (he actually through 14 in the game I saw). But, I don’t think an athlete is any better than the rest of us. We're all just people.

You want to give the public a stat to absorb take a survey of how every student working at the Kaimin 40 hours a week, and still taking 12-18 credits, can make it work out somehow. Or how single parents get degrees and somehow work out day care for their kids, or any other number of successful students with a “lot on their plate.” There are thousands to choose from and to put these people in a lower class than a few select students that must succeed for scholarship reasons is wrong. And to see this unfair comparison annoyed me. Deeply.

Again, I think athletes are great, but I think anyone succeeding at college is equally great. It’s not an easy time (even with the procrastination and partying). I finished my BA in four years., and that took a lot of work, and more stress than I care to enter into again any time soon. Every student knows this feeling, regardless of athletic ability. And, damnit, they deserve respect.

So here it is: Good job guys and gals doing college on their own system of work and loans. You’ve got a lot to deal with and you make it work. All 12,000 of you. Maybe you can't tkae all 12 credits to be full time, or maybe you're grades slipped because of some personal issue. Who cares? You're trying to better yourself through knowledge, and that's a fine pursuit in life.

And in other news: I covered an event on poverty today that was really exciting. I'm writing about it for next week's Indy, and I think when the issue publishes I'll write something here as well. That's all folks. Thanks for reading this elaborate rant.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm having a vague memory of a teacher at Anaconda High School telling you that your blue hair was "distracting." Did this event occur or did I imagine it?

On another note, I strongly agree with your post.