Thursday, January 31, 2008

Day 17: Dinner with McKee, then drinks at the K-House

I grabbed some dinner with McKee tonight (usually referred to here as Ashley, but I never call her that so it’s kind of dumb to use her first name on the blog). We talked about relationships for a bit, and then had a few laughs. Pretty standard dinner actually.

After that I headed over to Kettlehouse for beers with Keila and Chelsi from the Missoulian. I bring this up because there’s an unwritten rule in some people’s minds that the Indy and the Missoulian hate each other. Now, I admit that I’ve probably helped this perception with my own writing, but it isn’t completely true. Keila, for instance, once worked at the Indy. Journalists are like military members – we sort of just get the battles each other go through.

And in case anyone wonders, we rarely talk beats and stories – we are, after all, competition. (Just kidding. I think we avoid the talk mostly because it’s work, and who wants to talk shop at Kettlehouse?)

Tonight all I’ve done is watch Sean play Resident Evil 4, and suffer through Bill’s music tastes (Brooks and Dunn, Elton John, and Peter Cetera…bleh). The last few nights I’ve been on fire with mockings against Bill that have made his Facebook page. This first example has to do with my thoughts that “Harvey” is a cool name for a girl:
Bill: Harvey is Rizzo [from Grease].
Pat: Definitely.
Bill: But she wouldn't get knocked up.
Pat: Oh, she might get knocked up, but she'd Juno that shit.

And then I have this one on his page as well:
John: Jackson (Wyo.) is like my ball sack.
Pat Duganz: It's sprawling and has too many tourists?

I don’t know how I became so quotable, but I did. I guess I’m just awesome like that. And by awesome, I mean the opposite of Bill’s musical tastes. Seriously as I wrap this up I am watching him listening to Cher. I think I should point out, however, that he is only doing this to make the blog…that he’s already on multiple times. It’s kind of sad.

I should also note that Bill “Shitpickle” Oram denies that he’s listening to this crap to make the blog, which I think makes it worse. But that’s just me. Quotable me.

Remember: Friday has my big update.

***

Well, right as I posted this Bill and I had a talk about Jerry MacGuire. I pointed out to him that at the end of the film when Renée Zellwegger says, "You had me at hello," that Tom Cruise never said hello. I got this info from my friend Adam, but upon watching the clip on YouTube, he does indeed say "Hello" when he walks in. So...Shitpickle wins this round, but I still feel like the movie ranks at best three-stars. The way it makes love so simple. Hollywood sucks. Bunch of liars.

3 comments:

Chris said...

When I think of Jerry MacGuire, I think of that "Show Me the Money" line that permeated pop culture for way too long. That line was part of what I call my "Sherman Alexie Moment."

The humor is lost on anyone who hasn't read Alexie, and it's quite possible the humor is lost on everyone but me. Basically, many of his characters are reservation Indians who get put in these kind of oddball, ironic situations. In my particular moment, I was at Flathead Lake in Polson. Leaving the park where I had been swimming, I was following this rusted old, beat-to-shit Ford Tempo/Taurus-type car. It looked like one of those clown cars that get stuffed with about 500 clowns, only in this case it was brimming with Indians -- heads, arms, legs, you name it sticking out the windows. It crawled up the hill out of the park, smoking and sputtering, and as it crests the apex I see the dirt-obscured bumper sticker: Show Me the Money. It just struck me as utterly hilarious. For whatever reason that just seemed to jump right out of an Alexie book, and I have remembered it, and associated it with the movie, ever since.

N M Dubs said...

I actually have to agree that Harvey is a cool girl's name. However, I do have a penchant for girl's names that are typically boy's names.

Duganz said...

That is a very clear Alexie illusion story.