Thursday, January 17, 2008

Day Three: The thing about Hillary is…

I’ve decided to put off any discussion about my love life until the weekend––it’s a long story. Instead I am going to talk about why I dislike Sen. Hillary Clinton’s candidacy.

Allow me to provide an image for you: It’s 40 years ago and Hillary and Bill Clinton (though not yet married) are protesting the Vietnam War. Hillary says this war is evil, and the leaders have lied to people, and, most importantly, people of her generation are dying. Bill agrees so much so that he has deftly avoided the draft (genius).

First of all, I completely agree with their ideas. As we all know by now the Gulf of Tonkin Incident never happened but President Lyndon Johnson still began one of the stupidest and ill thought of conflicts in American history. The dick. So many people died for no reason––“bad intelligence” if you will.

Hillary should have stood against the war and her leaders, and she did. I’m damn proud of people like her who helped end that whole deal before Pappy Duganz came of draft age. But when she called Johnson a liar back then, she wasn’t even completely sure of it…she just didn't like the idea of war.

Fast forward to 2002…

Bad intelligence on WsMD in Iraq comes to the Senate, where Hillary now holds office. But where as when people her age were dying, now she didn’t care. Her skepticism had eroded and she beat the drum for war…for people my age.

How can a rebel change so much that they become the establishment? It kills me inside just thinking about it. This woman used to hate the government, but now, she is the government. And she had no problems with people my age dying. Amazing what a few decades will do.

So there, in just a few words, is the one and only reason I’m not part of the pro-Hillary camp. It’s not even because of any view I hold on the war. My opposition comes down to the fact that she wouldn’t send someone her age to die in a jungle, but sending someone my age to die in a desert seemed tip-top-a-roo to her.

I can’t tell if that’s depressing, or sick. All I know is I can't stomach her winning because of it.

No comments: