Monday, February 11, 2008

Day 28: Soliciting for unsolicited advice

After tonight’s City Council meeting I got some advice from a reader: Don’t worry so much. Actually, she pointed out that I’m 23 and I worry too much for someone my age without a mortgage, kids, or anything like that.

True. I have a pretty easy life outside of work and a somewhat boring, but existent, social life. I get by, sort of, and I’m able to enjoy free time (again, sort of). But I do worry regardless of the fact that my life is relatively easy, and I appreciated the POV that I need to ease up on my worrying a bit. So, since the unsolicited advice did perk me up, I’ve decided to open this post to more unsolicited advice – the kind of stuff you’d tell someone having a bad day, or someone graduating. Just post it in the comments section…

Another part the post meeting conversation worth talking about is our somewhat odd exchange over the fact that worries cause suicides, to which I responded that I couldn’t commit suicide until I write something big. Let’s be honest here, that guy who wrote Confederacy of Dunces got pretty lucky on his first serious piece of work. I doubt the same would happen for me. In other words: I gotta live for a while.

(Plus I dig this whole life gig; cemeteries are too creepy.)

Also, today I finished up the first draft of my last feature for the Indy as a staff writer, and I must admit that it felt weird. If I write another feature for the paper I’ll just be a freelancer, some hired ink-slinger doing the work without an actual desk. It caught me off guard and for a minute and I caught myself debating taking my notice back…but I didn’t. I think quitting will end up being a good choice, it just seems weird to know that the basement at 317 S. Orange will no longer be my home.

But not recanting my original choice made me feel stronger about it than ever. I think it’s an odd moment when you know you’re in complete control of your life, and “destiny,” though I kind of dislike the word…Now I’ve just got to figure out what’s next… again, any ideas?

***

Update: I had to post this gem:

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Go to YouTube. Search "Calbee Commercial."


I think it offers some interesting perspectives on life. For example, it serves as a good reminder to have a conversation with your kids about not talking to strangers...or men dressed in dog costumes.

Duganz said...

Well...no one has advice...