Friday, March 7, 2008

Day 53: Recap of the PBR thing, and previewing the weekend

Last night's PBR Band of the Year deal at the Otherside renewed my faith in mankind, and then shot it all to hell.

First off, as frequent readers know, I have a special place in my Irish heart for Alt-country/indie-folk act the Good Neighbor Policy, but last night I also found room to add in a few other local bands that I had foolishly not shown love to previously.

GNP started off the night, and had a good set, though the place hadn't filled up as much as it would later in the night so only about 40 people got to see them go all out (though I wished they'd ended the night with "Cruel World" as per usual *sigh*).

Next up came Black Velvet Elvises with their own unique brand of rock. I've seen these kids before and wasn't exactly floored, but last night I really enjoyed their set (even though they failed to play their cover of "Last Caress" by the Misfits). They really showed up and got the walls shaking. Olivia, their singer, did her very best Deborah Harry impression and made the entire set worth watching. Much fun.

Frequent Duganz at 23 comment-maker Chris LaTray (and fellow blogger) next took the stage with his band Lazerwolfs. I must admit that I'm not a huge metal fan. I kind of find it to be mostly noise with very little musicality. But with its Hüsker Dü meets Motörhead kind of sound Lazerwolfs may make me a believer – especially with Chris introducing a song as follows:
"All right. This next one's called 'The Deed**.' It's a song about...um...fucking."
Holla. I laughed at that intro a lot, as did my buddy John, who was equally swayed to, if not entirely liking metal, at least liking Lazerwolfs. Rock on.*

After Lazerwolfs exited the stage things turned bad, I mean really bad. Walking Corpse Syndrome "played," and somewhere inside I lost my will to breath, think, or exist. I had never seen this band before since I have an aversion to any band with a convoluted name referencing zombies. I'd describe this WCS' sound as noise, but the band Crass is noise and doesn't suck as much as this band. That's right. I said Crass, Crass for goddsake, doesn't suck as much as WCS. The poster for the PBR gig listed them as "Industrial/metal," but that doesn't really do it justice. It should have said "bad/worse." I should have seen the writing on the wall when they brought out two drum kits (groan), but I just thought they were being creative...

Okay, I'm honestly being a dick on this one. If I were actually into their style of music I probably would have been down with them more than a stay-at-home-mom during an Oprah marathon. But as it is I just felt like I was watching Hot Topic vomit out a band. However, one cool addition they brought to the night was a group of "zombie dancers." It was shameless gimmicky crap I normally hate, but given the rest of what was going on with this band I'll say it came off as the least "hey, we're a really cool band!!!!LOL!1!" bit of their whole shtick.

Reverend Slanky played after, and as always got people moving and shaking, which is a lot better than having them just stand against the wall looking. Biggest surprise in the set: a cover of Prince's "Musicology." After this ended I went home because John was leaving, and Alisia wanted to head out as well, plus I was tired. So I missed performances from The Hermans, iNHUMANS and Blessidoom, and the announcement that Slanky won the whole competition.

Oh well. It was a good night out.

I'm getting ready to do some serious writing today, and maybe play some guitar (along with more applications and job searching). For the weekend I'm not planning on much outside of a Maulers game tonight, and some movie watching on the weekend...which brings me to this point...

The other day I was watching TV at John, Sean, and Bill's when I caught a new commercial from Showcase Video that had some slightly veiled digs at Netflix. It shows a guy going to his mailbox a few times, becoming frustrated and then going to Showcase for whatever generic, unnamed film he wants to see. The guy then says, "This is a lot better than waiting on my mailbox!"

LOLOLOLOL!...wait...It's a terrible commercial.

Admittedly at some level I feel bad about no longer frequenting local movie shops for my viewing needs, but Netflix is really nice. I don't ever worry about late fees, or something being out of stock. The only downside is the wait to get movies. I hate that, but the films do eventually come so I can't complain too much.

But after watching the commercial I have decided that when I want a movie NOW, and cannot wait two days to watch one, I will go down to Showcase or Crystal to grab hold of something. Maybe The Missoula Riots, something tells me that'll be a good primer for the summer...

Take care kids, I'll see you soon.

*Update: After posting this I headed over to 4&20 where Rebecca said the same thing. Great minds think alike I guess. Either that or Lazerwolfs actually did kick ass.
**Second Update: Originally I had this as "Thirteen," but Chris corrected me, and so I've changed it.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Thanks again for coming, Duganz. I don't know how much ass we kicked, but I'm sore all over. I don't know if it was our set or the melee at the Clutch show I bolted to immediately after ours. I'm glad you enjoyed it. As for the song title, it's actually "The Deed", and it is, indeed about fucking.

I think at some point I need to meet up with you at a GNP show, because they did not do it for me at all. I think I was expecting too much, and I probably need to see them in an environment more suitable; i.e. later than 8:30 PM. I'm not willing to write them off, but I definitely wasn't too moved by them.

I really like iNHUMANS though.

I didn't see this particular WCS set, so I can't comment. I know their thing isn't everyone's bag, but even though they are friends of mine your Hot Topic comment made me laugh.

Duganz said...

We may have to face a disagreement on GNP and WCS. As you said about WCS, GNP's not necessarily everyone's bag.

I would recommend seeing them at a show at the Badlander past 8:30 when the crowd's larger and a little more into it. When's your next Missoula show?

Rebecca said...

Pat, I think it's six of one and a half dozen of the other: great minds kick ass.

Chris said...

I don't know when we are playing Missoula again. Maybe in May. We are taking April to record album #3.

I think the crowd part was a big part. Plus I was in game face, "I'm here to rock" mode. If I was just out to get a buzz on, maybe shake a booty and look at a pretty girl or two, I'm sure my take would have been different.